Porifera was founded in 2009 to answer a challenge from the Department of Defense's DARPA program for an advanced desalination system. DARPA wanted a low-power, transportable system that would purify the dirtiest saline water they could throw at it - the infamous DARPA Challenge Water, an ugly, greenish solution of algae, fertilizer, seawater salts, and sand.
Porifera's team of innovative scientists and engineers responded by developing a breakthough forward osmosis membrane. In our first prototype experiments, we concentrated standard testing solutions of seawater. Our membrane was 3x faster and had better selectivity than anything else on the market. Then, we dewatered a solution of live algae from NASA with similar success. After that, we tried the DARPA Challenge Water......and it also worked! We then knew that we not only had a technological answer for DARPA, but the solution to a much bigger problem. For industries that struggle with complicated wastewater systems or the high costs of trucking and evaporating water, Porifera’s PFO Membrane Technology is the solution.
Partner With us
Porifera is now engaging in partnering opportunities with corporations in the following applications:
Food, Beverage, Agriculture
- Food & beverage concentration: fruit juices, dairy, wine, coffee, tea, and flavor extracts
- Wastewater recovery & reuse
- Upstream oil & gas wastewater treatment
- Water treatment, recovery and reuse for thermal power plants
Specialty Chemical & Textile
- Enhanced product recovery & concentration
- Industrial wastewater reuse and recovery
- Algae concentration
Municipal Water & Waste
- Pretreatment for desalination
- Pretreatment for highly fouling waters
- Municipal wastewater treatment
- Emerging contaminant removal
- Landfill leachate treatment
- Biopharma protein sequestration
- Virus removal
If you have a partnering opportunity you would like to talk about, please contact us.